Sunday, September 21, 2008

recycling

I came across an Etsy tutorial on how to fuse plastic shopping bags together. Once done, you have produced a larger, stronger sheet of plastic, with unending possibilities of uses. I couldn't wait to try it. I decided to make a reusable shopping bag.

The tutorial insinuates that you will cut the 'raw' bags into even sizes, fuse these, then sew them together into the size you want. I had an idea that I would rather overlap many sheets to make one huge piece, and then sew my bag from the one huge piece. I also purposely arranged different kinds/colors of bags haphazardly to get a kind of rustic look. I sewed handles out of some nice strong cotton fabric I had on hand. I didn't work from a pattern, but from what I figured in my head (as I often do), and the bag ended up a little wider and shallower than I like. I may redo it so that it is a little narrower and deeper. In any case, here's the finished product.


If I do another, I may use the colors and patterns of the bags to make a more symmetrical design. Walmart bags used to be blue, but now they're white. This now makes me sad. My plastic sheet also did not come out perfectly flat and even. I will need to work on this.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you share the fusing technique?

I also learned in rug braiding that you can cut plastic bags into strips and braid them to make outdoor floor mats. I've never done it, but I've heard they're cool.

Laurie said...

There's a link in the beginning of the post. :)

Meg said...

That is freakin' awesome. I want one!

Now I want to go to every store in the area and collect bags and send them to you... because I have zero skills (and no sewing machine).

Old Navy bags would be an excellent addition, I think.

Meghan said...

Damn... I keep forgetting to sign into my regular blogger account.

Laurie said...

If you leave a comment as 'meg' I still know it's you...you don't need to leave another as meghan. Although I do like hearing from you twice as much. ;)

Meghan said...

How about THREE times?!

Laurie said...

Woohoo!!!