Friday, September 5, 2008

Flashing back

So...the ovarian cyst. What was is now...two Thursdays ago?...that I started getting the pain in my side. Doctor on Sunday, pelvic ultrasound on Monday. I waited all day Tuesday for someone to call me about the results, but the call didn't come until Wednesday morning. The day BEFORE my trip. My internist called that morning to say they'd gotten the results and told me that I had an ovarian cyst that had ruptured. He said I should call the gyno and make an appointment to be seen as soon as possible. I asked him if I could take my trip, and he said it was a judgement call. But while I was talking to him, panic set in. I had no idea that something like this would scare me so much. But my ears starting ringing and I felt faint. I got off the phone with him and called the gyno's office, explaining that I needed to be seen as soon as possible. She said she's see what she could find and call me back.

Ok, how bad was this? I consulted Google. Turns out there are several different kinds of ovarian cysts, with different causes and some different symptoms. Mine seemed mostly like it was a 'functional' one, not ususally harmful. Ok. I was really trying to calm myself down. But one of the issues that can happen with this is internal bleeding. I spent the morning, doing my errands, bringing The Boy to the new school for Open House, wondering in the back of my head what if I was bleeding internally, was I going to miss my trip? Was I going to need surgery? Who was going to take care of The Boy?

Later in the day the gyno's office called back, they did not think I needed to be seen today, but would make room if I wanted. The doctor herself had looked at the ultrasound, and it did, indeed, look like a 'functional' cyst, it was now resolving, the pain I'd felt a few days ago was the rupturing, it was not bleeding. I IMMEDIATELY felt relieved and much better about the whole thing. Ok. I wasn't bleeding to death. Phew.

And within a couple days, my tummy problems abruptly disappeared, too. So I think the whole diverticulitis thing was a ruse. It was the cyst all along.


But, of course, no rest for the weary. Got back from my trip late Monday night. Slept alot Tuesday, to try to catch up. By Wednesday morning I was feeling refreshed and energetic, and started thinking about all the things I was going to get done. So then do you know what happened? I got the flu Wednesday night. I have been in bed since then, leaving only twice, when I had to bring The Boy to the store to get last minute school supplies.

Tomorrow is our annual family reunion. My aunt, who's house it is always held at, is dying. In 10 years I've never missed a reunion, and it's most especially important that I go to THIS one. But now I don't think I'm going to be able to make it. I haven't showered in days. I'm pretty gross. And I'd had to go off coffee when I was having the other issues, had just started coming back to it, and now I'm too sick to drink it again. :(

ETA: And, I just got my period. Who wants to come to my house? I am extra-super-fun to hang out with right now!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor tiny mouse! I knew something BIG was keeping you from telling about your trip. Here's hoping you get better soon!

Jess said...

Ouch! I'm sorry you've had such a bad run lately. Maybe the flu was ConSARS, as Wil Wheaton calls it. Everyone at the convention I was just at (I worked at my company's booth during PAX) seemed to come down with something; I guess that's a predictable result of having tens of thousands of people all crammed into a small space together. I'm glad the cyst wasn't serious, though I'm sure that didn't make it feel any less horrible.

Laurie said...

Yep, they call it the Con Crud. I'm a victim of the Con Crud.

CosmicAvatar said...

Awwwww, poor you. I'm glad at least the cyst is now on the mend.

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie...I'll come hang out with you. We're probably immune to each other and we could totally commiserate because we share:

Pain in the side..yours ovary, mine spleen

Nasty virus causing gross things in our bodies

Menstruation

Yep sounds like all the ingredients for one hellacious pitty party. I'll bring the booze. What time would you like me to be there?

Okay, that was silly but I can definitely send *hugs*

Laurie said...

Cool! Sick party at my house! I have all the best DVDs (some of them autographed!) and pillows, and thermometers, and juice. If you require something stronger to drink, please feel free to bring something for yourself.