Sunday, November 9, 2008

Getting my knit on

A few years ago, I bought the book Stitch 'N Bitch, and taught myself to knit from it. I didn't get very far. I got to where I could knit and purl, made a practice swatch with a garter stitch, stockinette, ribbing, and seed stitching. I made a little sweater for a stuffed animal. Then I thought I'd make myself a little scarf out of eyelash yarn, but the eyelash yarn kicked my ass. I restarted that one I don't know how many times, and never finished. I came to the conclusion that I didn't have the patience for knitting. When I make something, I want to see the finished results QUICKLY. I don't have months to dedicate to ONE project. That's why I sew, and bead, and build stuff. And so, I abandoned knitting.

But Cassy's party gave me serious knitting fever. Everyone (well, not literally everyone, but a good number of them) was working on such lovely projects! And I needed to knit. I decided I'd buy some good yarn, and actually make something. A scarf. A scarf can't take TOO long, right? Earlier this week I went to a crafty store and looked at the yarn. I picked a red wool, and found it was even on sale. Woohoo! Bought some new bamboo needles, too, since I was pretty sure I didn't have the size I wanted at home.

Yesterday I spent a few hours getting myself reacquainted with the book and with knitting. Today I dove into my project. I'm going to make myself a red scarf, in a 'basketweave' pattern. I cast on 45 stitches. I started with 15 rows of seed stitch, then did: 5 seed (that is to say, 1k, 1p, 1k, 1p, 1k), 7 knit, 7 purl, 7 knit, 7 purl, 7 knit, 5 seed. And of course swap the knits and purls on the next row, etc. I think I am just about at the point where there areas are squares so I will start doing the opposite. I'll decide that tomorrow. And also, I am really happy that I started with the seed stitch, because plain knitting or purling positively flies by in comparison! Incidentally, I got this pattern idea from Crazy Aunt Purl's blog. Once I saw it, I knew I wanted to try to make it! Here's a shot of what I've done so far:

I am pleased, so far.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Knitting? Means nothing to me. But your determination and choice of beautiful yarn and pattern is exciting. I can't wait to see your finished product!

Anonymous said...

You're knitting! Your stitches are very nice and even and the yarn looks great with the pattern. Well done!

CassyLee said...

woohoo! for spreading the knitting fever - your project is off to a lovely start :-)

Cindy (starshine) said...

Very pretty pattern. You do realize this is yet another reason to get together [grin]? I can help you when you decide to get into the more complicated patterns.