Saturday, November 29, 2008

Finished!

I finished my scarf last night. I had been a little undecided about how long to make it, but it ended up being decided for me when it became apparent that I was going to run out of yarn. I ended up making it 1 row of boxes shorter than I thought I would, but that's just fine. It measures 67", taller than me. I ended up with perhaps 5" of yarn left, so I had just enough.



Don't ask my why I wore a red shirt to model a red scarf. Doh.

I went out today to buy more yarn. While I was knitting, it had become apparent to me that my next project will be a shrug for myself. It's a plain black yarn, very soft. It's going to be quick and dirty, and help me learn new techniques: It will be one piece, a ribbed cuff, then garter stitch up the arm and across the back, and back down the other arm. It will be a good chance to practice increasing and decreasing, because I haven't done much of that yet, and I'm going to make the cuffs in the round, which I've never done before I'm not going to knit the cuffs in the round, because I've cast on and started 6 times now, and I keep getting gaps in the stitches between the needles. (If I don't get going on this shrug soon, I will get frustrated and lose interest. So I will try again to learn to knit in the round at another time, on something larger than a cuff.) And then it can keep my arms warm while I knit more!

I also bought some baby yarn (on sale) to make my cat a blanket, because she was very interested in the scarf while I knitted it so I thought she might like something for herself, and two other skeins of pretty multi-colored purple-y yarn (on sale) because there's a baby blanket in the Stitch N Bitch book that I want to make. I don't know who it's for yet, but my friend Trish is having a baby so it will probably be for her. Her favorite color is purple and I'm pretty sure I was thinking of her when I picked it out.

And do you know how much I paid for gas today???? $1.89 a gallon! I filled up my car for less than $30. Hallelujah!

And the cat would like to say: oiiii;lllllllllllll

3 comments:

Cindy (starshine) said...

Very pretty. We REALLY need to get together after the holidays and have a knitfest.

Meghan said...

Gorgeous! However, it would be even lovelier if I could see your beautiful face above it.

Amanda said...

Pretty!

I learned knitting in the round on dpns for socks. I think it was Broadripple Socks, which was a pretty easy pattern to learn on, if you're interested.