Saturday, May 8, 2010

Chocolate Blackout Cake

I saw this cake being made on a PBS show in the middle of the night, and KNEW I wanted to make it for The Boy's birthday. I found the recipe online, showed it to Jake, and asked if he would want me to make it for him. And he said yes.

Today is his actual birthday, but he's with his dad and they took a couple of Jake's friends to go play paintball. I will have Jake tomorrow for Mother's Day and we'll celebrate his birthday tomorrow at my parents' house.

Yesterday I made the pudding, so it would have plenty of time to chill overnight. Today, I made the cake.










The pic from the recipe:
I thought I was going to caption these pics, but I think it's rather clear what's going on.

Note: The original recipe called for the pudding and cake crumbs to cover the entire top of the cake, not just the sides. I would have preferred to make it that way. However, somebody in my family (hint: not me, and not The Boy) apparently can't handle a birthday cake not having "HAPPY BIRTHDAY _____" written on it. So I found a quick and dirty frosting recipe and frosted the top instead so I could write it. I cannot draw, I do not have neat handwriting, and I can't even draw a straight line. So the writing isn't very good, but I worked extra hard to try to make the letters centered and well-spaced.

The cake is now in my fridge, waiting to be nommed tomorrow. I'm still on my diet so I can't have a piece, but I will have a bite because I need to know if it tastes good.

2 comments:

DropEdge said...

Oh my God, I so need to be in MA tomorrow.

AprilDawne said...

mmmmmmmmmmm that's all I can say! That looks outstanding!

I'll be in the old hometown tomorrow to so give me a yell if you and the boy get bored. LOL. I would be up for a walk if the weather were sunny.