Friday, May 8, 2009

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache

Last summer, when The Boy and I went to Atlanta, we ordered this awesome chocolate cake from room service, and he LOVED it. Said it was the best cake he'd ever had. So, for his birthday, I wanted to try to make something similar. I found a pretty easy looking recipe (full recipe here), and made it last night.

For Cake:
2/3 c. plus 2 tblsp. sugar
2 tblsp. cocao powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 stick butter
9 oz. good quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract

For Ganache:
½ c. heavy whipping cream
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped if necessary

Combine sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a large bowl:

Whisk the eggs and vanilla in another bowl:
Add to the sugar/cocoa/salt, stir to combine.


Melt butter in a saucepan; add bittersweet chocolate and stir until melted:

Add the chocolate to the sugar/egg mixture and whisk until completely combined:


Line bottom of springform pan with parchment paper. Butter parchment paper and sides of pan:

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes in a preheated 350F oven. Cool completely in pan.

To prepare ganache, bring the cream to a simmer, add the semi-sweet chocolate and stir until completely melted and smooth:

Pour the ganache over the cake, still inside the springform pan.

Chill for at least 2 hours to set the ganache. (I made this yesterday evening, and served it today.)

The recipe also gives instructions for whipped cream, but Jake doesn't care for it, so I just bought some canned whipped cream for myself. This cake was so easy to make, and came out SOOOOO delicious. Very rich, though, you can't eat very much at once.

Note: This recipe called for a 9" springform pan. My springform pan is 10". I was concerned about not having enough batter, so I increased the entire recipe by 25% (I chose that percentage basically because it would increase the egg by one, so that I did not have to go using half an egg or some foolishness like that). I also decided that the layer of ganache was not as thick as I would like, so I made a whole 'nother batch of ganache the next morning and poured it over.

No comments: